Saturday, April 25, 2015

Bernhard HUBER -- 2012 Spätburgunder (Pinot Noir) and Chardonnay (Baden)



There are a number of estates in Germany producing world-class Pinot Noir (Spätburgunder), but in my experience, the two that rise above all the others are Paul Fürst in Franconia and Bernhard Huber in Baden. As I’ve mentioned before, Huber tragically died last June while in his mid-fifties. His son Julian has taken over as winemaker and Bernhard's wife and daughter are also continuing the estate, and let us hope that the quality of the past continues.

I’ve never seen vines as beautifully tended as Huber’s. And the great wines I tasted on a visit to the estate went beyond the Spätburgunders: one of the finest sparkling wines I’ve ever tasted was on that visit, and the wines from Chardonnay can be excellent (the one reviewed below is just the entry-level Chardonnay).

The GG’s below were tasted quite young and may be underestimated for that reason. (Continue reading here).